Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring has Sprung

Dearest Friends,
Happy Friday! Happy weekend! I hope you have been enjoying wonderful weather like we have been having here in North Carolina! It is truly spring! It feels so good to lounge around outside and feel the soft grass between my toes again. I was ready for winter to be over!! I am especially glad that the drab winter colors are gone and we can get back into pretty pastels and lighter fabrics – much more feminine.
I had to explain to my friends in the backyard that they have to change their hat styles to reflect a more springtime vibe. They tilted their heads and looked at me funny, but I figured further explaining would straighten it out. When I finished, they tilted their heads and looked at me even funnier. I sighed and told them they were going to have to trust me on this, and I would make sure everyone had an appropriate hat. They all looked relieved and lined up to experience my benevolence once again. Now that everyone was fashion appropriate, I could enjoy some time in the sun.




I had barely settled in, when Cali came lumbering up to me. Now, I don’t want to seem “catty” but the girl has packed on some weight! I know we’re putting out food for our feral friends, but I thought they were sharing. It looked like Cali had been eating it all and leaving nothing for anyone else! She asked if we had filled up the bowl yet today, and I reluctantly told her we had. She waddled up the steps onto the deck to go get something to eat. I followed her up and watched her eat. Egad! She looked like she had swallowed a basketball!





I suggested she might want to lay off the food a bit, but she said she couldn’t help it. She said she was hungry all the time and would feel sick if she didn’t eat. Just then Mom came out and heard what we were talking about. She told me that Cali wasn’t fat. It was springtime and Cali was carrying kittens in her belly. OH NO! She ate someone’s kittens?!?!?!? I ran about the yard holding my head and yowling. How could she do that to cute little kittens!!!! Mom finally caught me and told me she didn’t EAT the kittens, she was pregnant. Mom then proceeded to explain all about the birds and the bees. Oooooooh! Now I understood. Animals at the shelter didn’t have babies, so I had no idea how all that happened. Mom told me I had been spayed so I couldn’t have babies. That was okay, because I was going to enjoy helping Cali with her kittens without having to be responsible for them. Evidently, Cali hadn’t realized she was going to have kittens and she looked a little shaken up. She is young and this is going to be her first litter. I apologized to Cali for calling her fat, and told her not to worry, my family would help her through this having kittens thing. That seemed to make her feel better, so she went back to eating. Now I can’t wait for Cali’s babies to come!
Before I could head back out into the sunshine, Bobbi came up the deck steps. She looked so pretty in her spring hat. She had her arms full of gifts for me!



Bobbi said she had such a good time at the St. Patrick’s Day party that she wanted to bring me a couple of thank you gifts. I was so excited. I love gifts!! She gave me a box of Russell Stover’s chocolates and a beautiful bouquet of spring flowers. I opened the box of candy and offered Bobbi a piece, and before I could close the box Cali came over and asked if she could have some. I let her have one piece, but then told her that too much sugar wouldn’t be good for her pregnant self. I thanked Bobbi for her thoughtfulness and told her she would most certainly be invited to any event I had.
I headed back to my favorite spot in the yard and just as I started to relax, I noticed something odd. I know I have some squirrel and bird friends, but I can still be a fierce hunter who likes to stalk any creature in the yard. I’m beginning to think the birds and squirrels aren’t taking me seriously though. Used to be when a bird landed in the birdbath I would run at them and they would fly away. They always knew they might have to take off suddenly, so they never
really took it easy. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I looked at the bird bath! I believe the birds have become a little complacent when it comes to fearing me.




Believe me, if I weren’t so comfortable where I was, I would have been all over that bird. Besides, I wouldn’t want to chase her out before she was finished. She hadn’t even played with her rubber ducky yet!
Just as I was about to nod off, Corny showed up wearing a very odd hat. I know that it was not a hat I had given him.




Evidently he had found it somewhere around the Walmart and decided it was "him." He asked what we were doing for Easter. “We?” I asked. Somehow I had become the event planner for the neighborhood. I told him I was thinking of organizing some kind of family fun, and was leaning toward an Easter Egg Hunt. Corny thought that was a good idea and he volunteered to
help. I thanked him kindly, but I told him I had time to plan it myself, but he was certainly invited to attend. I told Corny that I would let him know the beginning of next week about the exact date and time. He got so excited that he burst into a barrage of knock, knock jokes. The grand finale was “Knock! Knock!” “Who’s there” I said on cue. “Wendy” he said. “Wendy who?” I asked. “Wendy Easter bunny coming?” He let out a big cackle, turned and took off into the great blue yonder.
Well, I better get to planning the neighborhood Easter egg hunt. Hope you have a good week. Maybe next week I’ll have some kittens to tell you about. Keep your fingers crossed.

Love & licks,

Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment