Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jean Claude Kitty

Happy Friday! Happy Weekend! I don’t know about you, but I’ve just about had my fill of winter. We had another snow storm this week that shut everything down for two days!!!! It wasn’t that the snow was so bad, but the sleet that settled on top of it made Fayetteville one giant ice skating rink! We did make the most of it though. It was fun to throw peanuts out in the backyard and watch the squirrels go running after them. They would run full speed and then when they tried to stop they would go sliding past the nut, arms and legs flailing. Steve and I sat on the back deck just guffawing at the sight!
Some of my friends and I sat around talking about the snow and we decided if we were going to have to deal with the snow, we might just as well deal with a lot of snow. We tippy tapped on my mother’s computer to find something to do in the snow. We “Gurgled” snow sports and found several from which to choose. Malcolm insisted we choose something that held the promise of a good meal afterwards, so we settled on skiing.
It was easy to compel Tristan to drive us to a ski resort with the promise of lovely snow bunnies. We suggested that he might enjoy a quiet afternoon hanging around the ski lodge meeting other winter sport enthusiasts….okay, well maybe he isn’t a winter sports enthusiast, but being at a ski resort gives the illusion of just that!
We found out we could rent the ski equipment at the ski resort when we got there, so Felisha, Barnaby and I eagerly got into Tristan’s car – Malcolm got into the car also, but he was not what I would call eager.
Of course Malcolm complained about being hungry the first part of the trip. When we finally couldn’t stand it anymore, we drove through a Kentucky Fried Chicken to get him a bucket to keep him quiet. We arrived at our destination late in the morning, leaving us all afternoon to try our hands – and feet – at skiing!
The ski resort was beautiful and I asked Tristan to take a picture of the adventurers before we headed out to the slopes. We all put on our warm ski hats and smiled for the camera…sort of.

We headed to the slopes and Tristan headed to the lobby to mingle with the other guests. The nice ski instructors made sure we were outfitted with the proper equipment and gave us a quick lesson on the bunny hill. Those bunnies were very white because they must have been blending in with the snow - I couldn’t see a single one!
Barnaby and Felisha picked it up quickly and wanted to go to a more advanced hill. Malcolm wasn’t trying very hard, so he wasn’t very good. I told Barnaby and Felisha to go ahead and I’d stay and keep an eye on Malcolm. We made plans to meet up later in the lodge and off they went. Malcolm was insulted I didn’t think he was good enough to go to a more advanced hill. I told him it was better to be safe than in a hospital, but he is just so stubborn!!!! He started after Barnaby and Felisha and I had to scramble to catch up.
We had to get on a chair lift to go higher up the mountain. It looked like fun, but unfortunately, once you were dropped off at the top of the mountain you had to ski (or tumble) all the way down. Again I tried to talk Malcolm out of it, but he would not be deterred. I jumped in the chair with him so there would be someone to call for help when he skied off a cliff.

We jumped off the chair at the top of the mountain. Malcolm took off zig zagging down the mountain. I carefully pushed myself off with my poles and took my time. I loved how quiet it was save for the gentle swishing of the snow as I made my way back to the bottom. I starting to wonder how Malcolm was doing when the answer appeared before my eyes

I would know that tail and KFC bucket anywhere! Malcolm was waving his arms, legs and tail around trying to extract himself from the snow bank. I went over and grabbed him around the belly and gave a good pull. He popped right out. He did not look happy. He had clumps of snow stuck in his fur all around his face. I couldn’t help but laugh, which made him even madder. I told him he should have listened to me and taken it slow, but he didn’t want to hear any of it. He said he was hungry and was going to go back to the lodge to get something to eat.
Barnaby, Felisha and I made several runs down the intermediate hill and had a wonderful time. We were getting hungry and tired, so we thought we should go find Malcolm and see what trouble he had gotten into.
We turned in our equipment and thanked the instructors for their expert help. We told them we would definitely be back and bring along even more friends. We headed to the lodge for some relaxation and a bite to eat.
It didn’t take us long to find Malcolm. He was sitting at the lobby fireplace roasting marshmallows on a stick in the fire. He also had a pile of s’mores next to him. He motioned to us to come over and he shared his delicious treats with us.

When Malcolm and Barnaby left to go find more provisions, Felisha and I bought some hot cocoa and sat on the comfy couches sipping our wonderfully steamy drinks and talking about the day.

It wasn’t long before the day of exercise and evening of s’mores and hot cocoa took its toll on us and we were all very sleepy. We found Tristan and asked him if he was ready to leave. He agreed it was time to go and we all dragged ourselves into the car for a nice long nap on the way home. As I drifted off to sleep I was already planning our next skiing outing.
I hope you have a wonderful week and perhaps tae some time this weekend to try your hand at skiing, The scenery is beautiful, it’s great exercise and the hot coca is delicious!!

Love & licks,

No comments:

Post a Comment